Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Back to STOS

Hi,

After 30 years I took my Atari 520STFM and Megafile60 out of storage and wanted to dive back into STOS.

As a student I had purchased the Atari back in June '89, together with a Philips CM8833 (MK1). It wasn't long before I purchased STOS and went on to write some games, utilities. Even wrote an extension, for which I had bought Devpac2, with some money from a summer job.

After graduating in '92 I made the switch to PC with the VideoBlaster and later the miroVideo range of products. The Atari ended up in the attic, until Christmas-break of '21-'22.

The Atari switched on without (apparent) issues. The Philips monitor needed some work. I replaced its flyback transformer and horizontal output transistor, and now have a perfect image again. I then intended to backup the content of the Megafile to an UltraSatan. Unfortunately most (if not all) files from the HD are unreadable. Not sure if it is related to the Megafile or the ST's ACSI port. Luckily, I found most of the software backed up on floppies, and managed to transfer all 50+ disks to the UltraSatan. Apparently, the disk drive and the disks are still in "good" shape. Well, good enough for the content to be transferred without a single read-error.

I have installed STeem and used the backup from floppies to run a virtual HD, with my official purchased STOS 2.6

Knowing the ST's PSU will probably not last forever, I am looking to do most of the work via STeem and ave been looking in getting the VS Code and extension running. So far, without success. But will post this in the appropriate section of the forum.