By Neil Halliday
Bit Plane – O – Mania was an unfinished demo screen that I created in October of 1993 for a STOS Mega Demo that GBP were writing called “Hellbender”. I recently rediscovered the majority of the source code on one of my many floppy disks I have stored in the attic, but there were some elements missing. I’ve spent my spare time over the last week finishing off the screen so that I can make it available for download on the site. The code is by no means perfect, and I’m sure it can be optimised more, but it works.
The screen features:
- Single plane 32×47 horizontal scroll text
- Single plane vertical real-time sine waver scroller
- 4 single plane sine wave sprites
- 2 single plane moving logos
- Lots of rasters (approx 256 colours on screen)
- SNDH Music by Jochen Hippel (aka Mad Max)
Included in the zip file is the main BPOM.BAS file, which is the demo and some sub directories containing the source assets and utility programs for creating the data files in the correct format.
I’d love to hear your feedback on this demo screen, so please comment below!